East Farms Kindergarten Academy at Noah Wallace
East Farms Kindergarten classes will take place at Noah Wallace School for the 2021-2022 school year. At the Farmington Board of Education’s meeting on 3/22/21, the Board spent two hours deliberating options to address overcrowding at East Farms Elementary School during a construction project that is scheduled to begin in June, 2021.
Throughout the discussion, the Board considered the following:
- East Farms Elementary will undergo a significant and necessary renovation this summer which is aligned to the K-8 Review Recommendations and the renovation will likely extend throughout the remainder of 2021.
- Pandemic Safety Protocols - It is not yet clear what learning model we will be planning for in the fall and how it will impact space utilization. We have been told by DPH that social distancing and mask wearing will be likely during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Enrollment is unpredictable during and following a pandemic. This has been the case in Farmington. We have reached out to families to better predict the impact on enrollment projected for 2021-2022.
- Options were developed and assessed with an equity lens.
The rationale for this decision is as follows:
- Creates 5 classrooms of swing space at East Farms during construction (2 for the Library (book storage and instructional space), 1 for art or music room, 2 for swing space for other programs and/or classrooms)
- Addresses potential issues that impact space availability due to the construction phases
- Keeps East Farms’ K classrooms together to develop friendships and transition back with established classmates and friends
- East Farms Kindergarten faculty will move with students to Noah Wallace for the East Farms Kindergarten Academy at Noah Wallace in 2021-2022
- Creates continuity of instruction for all learners at EF’s
- This is a proactive approach rather than a reactive approach