Substance Abuse Prevention
- FCD.org (Freedom from Chemical Dependency)
- FCD, our partner in reducing substance use amongst Farmington teens, provides parents and educators valuable information on working with teens.
- The Teen-aged Brain: Teens Real Questions Answered by FCD
- Excellent FCD post that looks at how the teen brain works and how it reacts to drug and alcohol use. Must reading for any parent without a Ph.D. in neuro-physiology!
- The SOCIAL NORMS approach to substance prevention.
- The Social Norms approach to prevention has been a key strategy for us here in Farmington. Utilizing survey data to deflate misperceptions of actual use has helped us begin to re-define what teens see as “normal” teen behavior.
- FCD Survey Results: PowerPoint presentation to BOE
- Summary of comparative survey results from the 2007, 2010 and 2014 Student Attitude and Behavior Survey
- Today’s marijuana is incredibly potent and poses a particular danger to today’s teens. The Partnership for Drug free Kid’s recently released its Marijuana Talk Kit to assist parents in understanding the dangers of today’s marijuana and the how to have open, fruitful and ongoing two-way conversations about this topic with your teens.