Email regarding District Competition
I sent all of you an email regarding what we would have covered in our canceled meeting. Here is a copy of it, in case you can not access your student email:
Hope you are all enjoying this March snow day.
Please make sure you do the following before tomorrow:
1. Review rules for all categories
. I gave you a copy of the rules for the Required Written Material for All Entries
from pages 10 and 11 in the Rule Book. Please review and make sure you have 4 copies of all of the written materials. You should closely read the rules for the Tiltle Page, Process Paper and Annotated Bibliography on your own. There are samples of all of these on the NHD website http://www.nhd.org/
go to Contest/creating an entry. If you do not have your Rule Book at home, you can look at the one online (also on the NHD website). Review the section about your discussion with the judges.
2. Review the rules for your individual category. These rules begin on page 13 in the Rule Book. I copied parts of this and attached to the directions.
3. Review the evaluation criteria and evaluation forms (rubrics) . The criteria is in the Rule Book on pages 23 and 24. The evaluation forms are online. (Use these to self-assess your project and consider revisions.)
4. Review the category checklist on page 25 and 26 in the Rule Book. This is a helpful and succinct checklist. Please use it!
- Registration begins at 8:00. When you register, you will receive the time of your interview and location. We should try to meet before the opening remarks in the theater. I should be in the theater by 830. It would be nice if all of the IAR students sat together. At that time, you can share the individual times so that Mr. Guignino and I can watch your documentary or performance. We will also make time to look at the website. All of you will do the conferences with the judges on your own. It is your responsibility to know when and where you need to be for your interview and presentation. (You do not want to miss your time after all of the work you have done.)
- Bring something to do as there will be some down time while you are waiting for the results. You are asked to stay until the end when the awards are given. If this is a problem for anyone, let me know.
- Please dress professionally. It would be preferable not to wear jeans. I would also suggest the boys wear a collared shirt. (Jasmine and Maggie- you will have on your costumes.)
- At some point in the day, we want to take a group picture for the yearbook.
- There will be food available to purchase for snacks or lunch. If you want to buy lunch make sure you bring some money. Alternatively, you may bring a bag lunch or snacks.
If you have any questions, please email me today. I would suggest that you check your email again this evening in case I receive any last minute updates from Mrs. Taber.
Although it is unfortunate that we missed our last meeting, this snow day should be giving you an opportunity to review and make last minute changes to your written material. It also allows for practice time for the performance. Have a great day and I will see you tomorrow.
Posted Friday 03/08/13 10:16 AM
District Competition on March 9
The disrtict competition is Saturday, March 9. All students are responsible for their own transportation. The welcome letter from the Torrington District is in the resources below. A copy was also sent to your email. Please note that the new location is at Torrington High School. We will meet again after school on March 7. Good luck with the final revisions on your project. Please remember to check your email frequently for new information.
Posted Thursday 02/28/13 5:29 PM
You should have already started your research! You should also have set up a NoodleTools project to keep track of your sources. NoodleTools allows you to collaborate with another student so that you can all access the project.
Please note that we will meet 3 times in January. The meetings will be on Jan. 3, Jan 17 and January 24. You should continue to work on your own in between meetings.
Please consider signing up for one of the workshops offered by Connecticut History Day. These workshops are free and were helpful to some of our students last year. You need to make your own arrangements to attend one of these workshops. Information about these workshops is on their website.
Please see Mrs. Molloy or Mr Guignino if you need any help with your project in between the meeting dates.
Lastly, please check your students email for updates!
Posted Thursday 12/13/12 3:42 PM