High School Transition Process
Timeline of Events
In preparation for high school, 8th graders can expect to participate in the following activities with their school counselor:
- October- School counselors will visit classrooms and present a lesson introducing the high school transition process, Farmington High School and other high school options, and the importance of effort in 8th grade in relation to future goals.
- December- Teachers are asked to recommend 8th grade students for high school placement in their individual subject areas.
- January- IAR counselors provide an initial high school orientation to 8th grade students. Students learn about important concepts such as credits, graduation requirements, transcripts, and elective choices. FHS counselors are available at this presentation to answer questions.
- January- Course recommendation forms are mailed home for students to review with parents and choose their electives.
- February- Parents are invited to attend an orientation at Farmington High School.
- February- Students return their signed course recommendation forms. School counselors help students input their course requests in Powerschool.
- May- Eighth graders will be visiting FHS with their academic team to learn more about the opportunities, programs, policies and schedule provided to them next year. In addition, students will take a tour of the high school and meet many faculty members and students.
High School Transition Information
Below is information that is shared with students and/or parents during the spring of 8th grade. This material is now available to access from home for your convenience. Feel free to contact the the Counseling Office with any questions.
FHS Program of Studies
Presentation for 8th Graders in Preparation for FHS
Private School Application Process
Individual private schools have specific application deadlines and procedures. Please be aware of the student expectations for application and ensure that transcript and recommendation requests are submitted two weeks prior to the deadline. Also, please include an addressed and stamped envelope with each recommendation or transcript request.