MISSION: FOCUS is dedicated to reducing underage substance abuse through education, advocacy and public awareness; to providing resources for the community about how to keep kids safe, about drug and alcohol addiction and where to seek help; and to fostering a culture of non-use among teens.
It is hard to imagine a greater risk to any community’s well-being than underage drug and alcohol abuse. Research has shown that effective prevention is ongoing. We believe that parents and educators working together with the community’s support can be an effective force to reduce underage use.
For over five years, FOCUS has worked to build a Community Prevention Partnership, working closely with Farmington Public Schools and the Department of Youth and Community Services to sponsor innovative prevention programs, promote healthy choices and increase awareness.
FOCUS is ...
- A non-profit group including parents, educators, social service, health care and law enforcement professionals.
- An arm of the Community Services Department.
- The Town's Local Prevention Council, supported in part by the Capital Area Substance Abuse Council.
- A partner with Farmington Public Schools, sponsoring prevention education at Farmington High School, Irving Robbins Middle School and West Woods Upper Elementary School.
The FOCUS Fund supports ...
- Prevention Education for over 2,700 students in grades 5-12 each year with connected programs for parents, faculty, coaches and athletes.
- FHS Senior Safety Program to support the transition from high school to college or independent living.
- Project Graduation and Chem-Free Events: FHS after-school clubs and Friday night Open Gym, IAR Wellness Day and after-school sports.
- Student Attitudes and Behavior Survey: a triennial survey of all students in grades 8-12 to assess actual and perceived levels of use, providing valuable data to FPS faculty to help target prevention education.
- Anti-Smoking Poster Contest for 5th-6th graders.
- Peer Leader workshops and participation with 8th grade high school transition activities.
- The FOCUS Collection of nearly 50 books and DVDs about teen substance abuse at the Farmington Public Library.
Join the Partnership!
CONTRIBUTIONS SUPPORT PREVENTION EFFORTS
THE FOCUS FUND - PO Box 531 - Unionville, CT 06085