173 School Street, Unionville, Connecticut 06085 (860) 673-2575
Union School is a Kindergarten through fourth grade elementary school, recognized as a National Exemplary School by the U.S. Department of Education. This district treasure, standing above the Farmington River, has maintained its traditional charm while meeting the standards and demands of a 21st century education. The lyrics of our Union school song celebrate over 70 years of providing an exemplary education to Farmington's children.
At Union School we work and play,
yesterday, tomorrow and today.
The Farmington River always flowing,
generations coming, generations going.
Union School has about 300 students and a pupil-teacher ratio of approximately 20:1. The mission of Union School is proficiency for all students. To achieve our mission we will provide a supportive environment and an exemplary educational program built upon a foundation of respect and high standards for achievement and effort. Our dedicated and well-trained professional staff implement Farmington's standards-led curriculum and extend expectations for proficiency within all academic and social domains, including literacy, numeracy, content areas, health, technology, the arts, and character.
Goals and Priorities
Each year, performance-based school goals are developed collaboratively with the faculty, the School Council (parents, teachers, community members), and the principal. School goals are supported by ongoing professional development for teachers, consultation with specialists, and opportunities for coaching.
- Reading: After a year-long program of reading instruction, with an emphasis on guided reading and independent reading, all students will demonstrate proficiency in meeting established district grade level standards.
- Writing: After a year-long program of daily writing instruction, with an emphasis on the development of writing traits, writing for different purposes, different audiences, and in different genres, all students will demonstrate proficiency in meeting established district grade level standards.
- Math: After a year-long program of daily math instruction, emphasizing the development of conceptual understanding of mathematics and the creative application of skills and strategies, all students will demonstrate proficiency in meeting established district grade level standards.
- Our quality literacy support programs include a successful Kindergarten Acceleration program, our Reading Recovery Program for our first grade students, and a Reading Acceleration program to support our neediest readers in grades two through four.
- In addition to academics, Union School identifies and focuses on important priorities: student citizenship, curriculum connections to the arts, technology and physical education, promoting a collegial school culture and our home-school partnership.
- A before and after school on-site childcare program is available.
- Our computer lab is used for whole class instruction integrating technology with other components of our curriculum. Keyboard instruction begins formally in fourth grade. All grade levels use the computer lab to access information, and to learn, practice, and apply diverse skills.
- Our instrumental string program begins in second grade and involves more than 115 students. Our orchestra and chorus perform throughout the year. Performances include a Suzuki musical in the fall, a winter and spring concert, and several additional concerts to celebrate the progress of our string students. Our traditional May Day celebration continues to attract families, friends, and the community as students perform traditional May Pole weaving dances as well as multicultural songs and dances. Our Teachers as Musicians group, as celebrated in the national publication Music Educators National Conference Journal, models for students and families the direct relationship between effort and achievement. Teachers and staff have been learning to play string instruments and have performed for the community and for students at various events.
More information about Union School is contained in our Strategic School Profile, Results and Outcomes Report, and School Development Plan, viewable with Adobe Acrobat Rader. If your computer isn't equipped with Acrobat Reader, you may download it for free from Adobe.
More information about Union School is contained in our Strategic School Profile, Results and Outcomes, and School Development Plan, viewable with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If your computer isn't equipped with Acrobat Reader, you may download itfor free from Adobe.
Directions To Union School
Nondiscrimination and Equity Information:
Nondiscrimination Policy for Students and Personnel
Nondiscrimination Procedures and Forms