West Woods Upper Elementary School
50 Judson Lane, Farmington, Connecticut (860) 284-1230
West Woods Upper Elementary School opened in September 2002 with just over 700 students in grades five and six in a beautiful facility with cutting edge technology and resources. The mission of West Woods School is to "challenge all students to meet high academic standards and to help them become responsible and caring community members." We continue to work to articulate that vision and to translate it into school programs and structures. West Woods creates a strong bridge between the elementary schools and the middle school, and the faculty, administration, and staff of West Woods are committed to providing the following for every student:
- A rigorous core academic program, which challenges all students to meet high standards in all areas of the curriculum and where "the continual press for achievement is coupled with high standards of care." (Anne Wheelock)
- Standards-based curriculum, which focuses on high achievement through an integrated and meaningful approach to learning and which solidifies skill acquisition in preparation for middle school.
- An environment which nurtures and supports students physically, emotionally, socially, and academically, and an organization and schedule which supports both the curriculum and the developmental needs of students.
- Small, personalized structures for learning, including teams and tandems, which support connections between teachers and students that foster student motivation, effort, and investment in schoolwork.
- Careful transitions in and out of the school, continuity and alignment of curriculum across levels, and graduated structures that change from grade five to grade six to support a smooth transition.
The curriculum guide included here provides an overview of the curriculum-the academic standards and the subject matter taught-at West Woods Upper Elementary School.
Academic achievement in our first year was very high as measured by the Connecticut Mastery Test and curriculum based assessments, and West Woods students were recognized in many venues for their accomplishments.
West Woods offers an extensive co-curricular program of clubs and intramurals, including an active Student Council and regular service opportunities for all students. An active Parent Teacher Committee supports and extends our work, and EXCL is available to our students before and after school.
More information about West Woods Upper Elementary School is contained in its Strategic School Profile, Results and Outcomes, and School Development Plan, viewable with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If your computer isn't equipped with Acrobat Reader, you may download it for free from Adobe.
Directions To West Woods School[Get Map]